While indoor cycling classes are a great way to speed up the metabolism, incorrect posture during rides can put routine cyclists at risk of permanent damage to the spine and orientation of the body. Many popular cycling classes focus on intensity over execution, leading riders to sacrifice a healthy spine shape in order to keep up the pace.
The preservation of the spine should be nonnegotiable for those who wish to stay upright for their lifetime.
Most of us have ridden a bike, and so it seems unwarranted to do more than just get on and pedal. Riders largely hop onto bikes haphazardly, lacking awareness of the importance in maintaining proper alignment. Sustaining a "C" shaped spine; forward curved shoulders, neck and upper body is an extremely common "default cycle posture" and can change the postural destiny of those who ride without an elevated physical awareness.
Indoor cycling has been built on pushing physical thresholds beyond what is comfortable for the body, assuming this is the path to optimum health. Although the hard and fast mentality is often celebrated in today's fitness community, overdoing it during workouts is also unhealthy. As adequate oxygen is necessary for fat burning, being out of breath or overly winded is counterproductive.
A slower, steadier pace gives riders more information about their bodies, allows them to take more oxygen through the breath, and leads to more efficient calorie burning.
Enter POSTURE CYCLE®
Our POSTURE CYCLE® classes were designed in conjunction with a Physical Therapist to serve as a low impact, cardiovascular fitness class with an emphasis on body placement and postural awareness. POSTURE CYCLE® is a game changer in preserving the musculoskeletal system.
We'd love for you to join us in our new expanded (and gorgeous) studio opening May 21! In the meantime, here's a list of DOs and DON'Ts from our founder, Susan to keep in mind when you cycle indoors.
- Adjust your bike settings to support your body and form properly.
- Activate your abdominal muscles to support your lower back.
- Focus on your spine shape and maintain a neutral spine throughout class.
- Engage the proper working muscles and release unwarranted tension.
- Keep your weight on the pedals.
- Breathe consciously with full body breaths throughout class.
- Hydrate before, during and after classes.
- Listen to your body and ride accordingly.
- Do not hunch forward into a shape of the letter "C".
- Do not ride with your weight on the handlebars.
- Do not rock from side to side while riding.
- Don't pedal too hard or too fast.
- Don't cross train during cycle class.
- Don't ride without understanding how to preserve a healthy spine.
Now's the time to see for yourself how POSTURE CYCLE® can completely change your indoor cycling experience.... and did we mention our new studios are gorgeous??
Contact, Jake@NuYuRevolution.com or call (212) 663-1114 to become eligible for our Pre-Opening Special, which includes a complimentary 15-minute fitness consultation and more than 60% off of an 8-pack of classes.
*Offer available until May 20, 2018